Corporate Social Responsibility
A&R Cleaning Services Ltd Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policy ensures that social and environmental concerns are considered in all of our business operations.
We align our activities with the expectations of our stakeholders in relation to our economic, social and environmental impact.
A&R Cleaning Services has an excellent reputation in South Wales and the South West for carrying out business in accordance with the highest principles of business ethics. We are proud of this reputation and are committed to conducting our business activities with honesty and in full compliance with current laws and regulations.
Helping people is a huge part of A&R’s culture, when A&R looked at the Why in their business, their Why has always been to help others and this culture really is intertwined right through A&R’s business. Whether that is helping keep buildings clean and safe, offering local people the opportunity to change their lives by A&R providing jobs, supporting and facilitating learning and development opportunities, or if that help is with A&R fundraising to support charities. All that A&R does is all lead with the same purpose and the same Why. And that is to help others in any way A&R can.
As an innovative business, we continually seek better, safer, more cost-effective and sustainable methods of working, while adhering to best practice.
A&R Cleaning Services currently hold the following quality and environmental certifications: ISO9001, ISO14001, Investors in People and Safe contractor accredited. All our certifications along with our values intertwine with our sustainability ethos and our corporate social responsibility.
A&R Cleaning Service’s policy is broken down into four key areas:
- Health and Safety
Our employees are our most valuable resource and are a key factor in the delivery of services to our clients. We recognise that it is the calibre of the people that make up our teams that differentiates us from our competitors. As such, we work hard to recruit, develop and retain the best talent in the industry. As part of their personal development plan (PDP) each of our employees is given a clear route for progression, including technical and professional training.
Further to this, it is crucial that all employees maintain a high level of safety and technical expertise, therefore regular training and advice is made available.
Our employees are at the heart of A&R Cleaning services with employee wellbeing and people development being a significant driving force. We have developed an Employee Assistance Package (EAP) with an external provider. With this going ahead this entitles our workforce and their immediate family to have all forms of support from counselling, financial specialist advice, a free 24/7 365 day helpline answered by experienced in-house counsellors, trained to cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) level, legal and active Care—Day 1 intervention for stress, 6 sessions of face-to-face, online or telephone counselling per issue, per employee, per year access to a health e-Hub, along with industry-leading mobile app help and support, Critical incident and trauma support, online advice and support.
To ensure that we enhance our employees’ environmental awareness we provide continual training to enable consideration and understanding of environmental issues when planning, undertaking and implementing all projects.
We provide our managers with Equal Opportunities advice and support to ensure they have an understanding of their obligations allowing them to manage their team fairly and equally in all areas of employment. Ensuring all employees are aware of the company’s legal obligations, policies and internal procedures relating to the provision of Equal Opportunities.
Annual appraisals are conducted with all employees, allowing quality one-to-one time with their manager to discuss their performance, establish new objectives and determine the employee’s individual training and development needs that are required to assist in achieving their goals.
At A&R Cleaning Services our employees are the heart of our business, we update them with business news monthly, issuing a newsletter each month to keep them engaged. With over 200 employees working varied roles, office-based to being out in the field, to ensure each member of our teams receive the correct information we use several technology systems and App software’s allowing us to easily reach employees’ via their mobile phones.
Whether they are field-based, at their desks, or based at a client site, we ensure that all employees receive regular communications and updates on performance, significant business events, new contract wins, promotions, acquisition details and progress on our strategy.
A&R Cleaning Services Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policy ensures that social and environmental concerns are considered in all of our business operations.
Additional areas of CSR to people:
- StaySafe app-Lone working
- Employee of the Month-Staff recognition boosting morale and confidence
- Chwarae Teg female programs
- ILM qualifications
- NVQ qualifications
- Excellent learning and developing opportunities
- Job security and job prospects by offering fixed-term contracts
- Link up with local job centres and job schemes, opening jobs to people who are unable to access the internet or no have use of a computer, giving them the same opportunities to be in employment
We fully recognise that our day-to-day operations cause inevitable impact on the environment in a number of ways. We are committed to reduce this level of impact through assessing and improving our environmental performance using a documented, maintained, monitored and reviewed Environmental Management System that is communicated to all employees.
Through ISO 14001 we employ systems and procedures that ensure the company’s compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and other requirements relating to the environment.
Sustainability considerations are fully integrated in our business decision making. We carry out environmental supply chain management to encourage suppliers to adopt environmentally sound practices.
A&R’s long-term plan for our fleet of already low emission vehicles is to replace vehicles with hybrid or electric-powered vehicles. A&R aim to achieve this status by 2025.
With A&R Cleaning services having defined processes and systems this has assisted our clients to achieve their sustainability management because of the training we deliver to each of our employees. Working from our ISO14001, we have adopted many new practices within our client’s buildings such as turning off lights after each room has been cleaned or is finished with, low powered hoovers, open windows instead of turning on the air conditioning unit. These little changes not only save our clients on energy costs but improve the sustainable future of our environment. This is monitored as part of our monthly audits on-site to ensure our staff are following our management systems.
A&R Cleaning Services previously completed a price review on our cleaning chemicals, we sourced potential new suppliers, ensured the relevant checks were completed and the supplier achieved our approved supplier process following ISO9001. We looked at how the cleaning chemicals were ethically sourced and what ingredients the chemicals were made up from. We looked at the overall sourced manufactured and packaged chemicals to ensure they were ethically sourced and if the ingredients the chemicals were made up from were also sourced sustainably. Having our certified ISO 14001 has allowed this process to be repeated time and time again allowing us to source the most ethical sustainable products that will do the job at hand.
By integrating Quality, Environmental and sustainability we have been able to build an excellent reputation as a good employer in South Wales and South West. By combining all of these it has enabled us to continuously improve how we deliver our service and most importantly assisted us to build a long-lasting, strong business.
Additional areas of CSR to Environment:
- Reusable A&R water bottles issued to staff
- Chemical dosage systems decreasing the packaging, and the amount of solution used
- Head Office supplied with a green energy source, which is UK generated, 100% certified renewable electricity
- Offer/supply full biodegradable cleaning chemicals
- Offer/supply recycled paper products and other consumables
Health and Safety
A&R Cleaning Services, led by its Board of Directors, will do everything that is reasonably practicable to protect the health, safety, and welfare of both our employees and any other person affected by our activities.
The Board, led by the Managing Director, has overall responsibility for ensuring that we maintain high standards of health and safety. However, we rely on all our employees, subcontractors, and clients to play their part in effectively implementing our health and safety policy and sharing in our commitment to:
Everyone’s Safety Goal – Everyone Home Safe, Every Day
As such, we will:
- undertake risk assessments, implement the identified control measures, and ensure that safe systems of work are applied in relation to our activities.
- provide and maintain a safe and healthy working environment including safe access arrangements and suitable welfare facilities.
- provide information, instruction, training, and supervision to enable employees to perform their work safely.
- promote a positive health and safety culture within the organisation, in particular consulting with employees on health and safety matters, directly through our Managers and Directors.
- commitment to the prevention of injury and ill health and continual improvement in H&S management and H&S performance
- ensure safety and the absence of risks to health in connection with the storage, handling, use and transport of equipment and substances
- ensure that all vehicles and work equipment are suitable for purpose and properly maintained.
- make available all necessary safety devices and protective equipment and supervise their use.
- take steps to assess the competence of any contractor we engage and to ensure that information is exchanged on matters relevant to health and safety.
- be prepared for emergencies such as fire and medical emergencies and investigate all incidents of injury or ill health.
- set and monitor health and safety objectives.
A&R Cleaning Services is committed to continual improvement in safety performance and ensuring that the delivery of the health and safety management system is adequately resourced to enable the full implementation of this policy. This commitment includes the provision of sufficient resources, management, and employee time, as well as training and health and safety advisory support.
It is the responsibility of the Managing Director to drive and monitor the implementation of the
Health & Safety policy, the company’s overall health and safety performance and also to provide strategic guidance to all of the operational divisions and support functions, reporting to the Board accordingly.
This Policy Statement and the Responsibilities and Arrangements that support it will be reviewed at least annually, or more frequently where there have been significant changes to the company or the nature of the company’s activities.
A&R Cleaning are extremely proud of the community social value we add. Our Managing Director Rayner Davies is very passionate and proactive in fundraising with over £40,000 raised and donated to local charities such as Velindre Cancer hospital, Mind Mental Health over the past few years. Both directors also play an active role in delivering talks to children in comprehensive schools. This is done through Big ideas Wales. Ashley and Rayner go into schools delivering talks with the biggest objection being to inspire the pupils to either start their own business, and work towards their dreams of being a business owner, or to inspire them to achieve their dreams by setting aspirations and working hard to achieve their goals.
Seeing the work firsthand several charities such as Air Ambulance Wales makes to peoples lives in the community, we proudly donate each month to them. Knowing we are helping towards a vital, lifesaving service is something that is directly in line with our company’s ethos and that is helping people, making a difference and that is what the Air Ambulance does. We will continue to support this charity amongst several other charities and community groups and continue to build on what we give back to our community.
Additional areas of CSR to community: A&R’s Pledge from August 2020 Onwards
- Feed 5 families for Christmas 2020 onwards (A&R will feed 5 families and hope with the support of their suppliers and customers A&R can increase this number to 50 families)
- Volunteer our time to help local events
- Support the Prince’s Trust charity-(Currently in communications with the charity to see how A&R can help support young people in need-August 2020)
- A&R in current communications with Home Smart to see how A&R can help support Families with young children. Home Start is a charity that helps families with young children through their challenging times. This support is in health, wellbeing and mental health, feelings of isolation, supporting with children’s behaviour and development, assist with managing household budget and so much more family support. (Currently in communications with the charity to see how A&R can help support young people in need-August 2020)
- X 10 School Visits to discuss career opportunities and Entrepreneurship
- Link up with local job centres and job schemes, opening jobs up to people who are unable to access the internet or no use of a computer, giving them the same opportunities to be in employment
- Increase our offer, support and assist employees to accredited learning courses